St. Michael’s Place
1311 N. Pecan St. Newport, 72112
St. Michael’s Place is a nursing home located in Newport, Arkansas. Inspections were conducted by Medicare between 02/01/2014 and 01/31/2015, and found this facility exhibited 10 health deficiencies, when the average number of health deficiencies in Arkansas is 6.4 and the average number of health deficiencies in the United States is 6.8.
Minimal Harm or Potential for Actual Harm
- 4 minimal harm or potential for actual harm deficiencies were cited, 2 on 02/20/2014 and 2 on 07/15/2014, when the facility failed to ensure an allegation for staff-to-resident abuse was reported to the administrator, which resulted in a delay in initiating an investigation and in implementing measures to protect residents from further potential abuse.
- 1 minimal harm or potential for actual harm deficiency was noted on 1/23/2014, when the facility failed to ensure the necessary treatment and services to prevent infection and development of new pressure sores for 2 residents, failed to ensure 3 residents were repositioned every 2 hours to prevent potential skin breakdown, failed to ensure padding was provided between bony prominences to reduce the potential for skin breakdown for 2 residents, and failed to ensure heels were consistently offloaded to relieve pressure and prevent potential pressure ulcer development for 3 residents.
- 2 minimal harm or potential for actual deficiencies were noted, one no 2/20/2014 and the other on 7/15/2014 when the facility failed to (1) hire only people with no legal history of abusing, neglecting or mistreating residents; or (2) report and investigate any acts or reports of abuse, neglect or mistreatment of residents.
- Special Focus Facility.
- The percentage of St. Michael’s long-stay residents who self-report moderate to severe pain (20.2%) is over two times the Arkansas average (8.2%) and the national average (7.7%).
- A high percentage of short-stay residents who self-report moderate to severe pain (44.4%) compared to the Arkansas average (18.4%) and the national average (18.5%).
This summary of the facility’s Nursing Home Profile from the Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare and/or the facility’s summary from the Quality Reporting System of the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services contains information as of February 11, 2015. The health inspection reports contained on the Medicare and Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services websites are designed to aid a facility in identifying and correcting its deficient practices. To determine whether the facility has corrected its deficiencies or improved its overall rating subsequent to the date listed above, please go to: http://www.medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare and http://facilityquality.dads.state.tx.us/qrs/public/qrs.do